- A hoarse, breathy, raspy or strained voice
- A raw or aching feeling in your throat
- A need to clear your throat or cough frequently
- Reduced breath support when speaking
- Inability to speak loudly (ie. decreased volume)
- Reduced pitch range (ie. lowest to highest sounds) when speaking or singing
Worried about your voice? Nicola Anglin is here to help!
Voice problems can be caused by voice misuse and overuse (eg. from yelling or straining to speak loudly). Disorders may also be associated with:
- Growths on the vocal cords (eg. nodules, polyps)
- Cancer or surgery
- Allergies or asthma
- Illnesses (eg. common cold, bronchitis, laryngitis) and medications
- Weakness, paralysis or involuntary movements of the vocal cords due to neurological diseases (eg. Parkinsons disease, motor neuron disease)
If you or a family member are experiencing voice problems, make an appointment with Nicola Anglin at Box Hill Speech Pathology Clinic. Nicola is trained in the internationally renowned Lee Silverman Voice Technique for people with Parkinsons disease. She also has a special interest in working with transgender clients and assisting them to match their voice and communication style to their gender identity.